Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Favorite Southern Foods

Well this is my first post for the Southern Mommas! The theme this week is your favorite southern foods, something I could talk about ALL day!

1. Fried Chicken


To me, fried chicken is the quintessential "southern" food. I could eat this everyday for the rest of my life and be happy...and weigh 300 lbs. :) I like to use chicken breasts and a two dip batter system of buttermilk and seasoned flour when I fry chicken at home.

2. Mashed Potatoes


What goes better with fried chicken that some good creamy mashed potatoes? I like to make mine with lots of butter and heavy cream. I think it scares Josh sometimes how much butter I add to things!

3. Fried Green Tomatoes

A restaurant here in Little Rock does a twist on this classic. They serve the tomatoes with a crawfish cream sauce and top them with a little melted mozzarella and tomato chutney. Incredible.

4. Cornbread (or fry bread)


Josh's grandmother, Mur, makes the best version of cornbread I think. She makes a cornmeal batter and then fries it in a cast iron skillet. Oh my word it's so good.


5. Fried Corn


This is a recipe that I came up with a couple of years ago. I heated up some oil in a skillet, threw in a can of corn(drained) with a handful of cornmeal, salt and pepper and just sauteed it till crispy! So yummy!


6. Macaroni and Cheese


This is ultimate comfort food. Anytime you go anywhere in the South where there are more than five people gathering, chances are this will be on the table. This is a staple at church potlucks and picnics.

7. Turnip Greens


To be honest, I can't stand these, but Josh adores them! Oh and I felt like I needed to add something green and not fried on here too.

8. Peach Cobbler


How much better can you get than a hot bowl of peach cobbler with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top? Answer: you can't.

9. Sweet Potato Pie


Mur and Granddad's housekeeper, Avril, makes the best sweet potato pie I've ever had. She never measures anything and she mixes it all by hand. We have stood by her more than once writing down what all she puts in, and trying to guess the measurements, but ours never turn out quite as good!

10. Sweet Tea


Technically not a food, but one of the reasons why I will never leave the South. No offense Yankees, it's just y'all don't quite have the sweet tea making down just yet. Oh and this is exactly how I like my tea: iced, with lemon and mint, and in a mason jar. Perfect.


I hope y'all enjoyed this post as much as I did writing it! Let me know what your favorite southern foods are too!


And be sure to come back next week when I'll be talking about CHOCOLATE!!!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Ya know, you're just mean. :) You have no idea how much I wanna devour pretty much everything you just wrote about (ya know, outside of the turnip greens - ugh!) And of everything you mentioned, my crappy no-wheat-handling belly could have the tea, corn, and potatoes. And, ummm, the turnip greens, though I'm pretty sure I couldn't even choke 'em down. Southern food's pretty much off limits for me. :( But chocolate - THAT I'm good with!
    Great post! I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete





Pumpkin Butter Kids

My Etsy Shop

My Recipe Blog


Click @adeichhorn to follow me on Twitter.

Me

Me

Josh

Josh

Sweet Addi

Sweet Addi
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved