Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Sad Day

So I wanted to let y'all know that yesterday Dixie had her puppy. She did so great and I was so proud of her! For the first part of labor she did not want me near her! She got underneath the downstairs couch (not the place I had created for her) and labored there for about an hour. I kept checking on her to make sure she was okay and noticed she had started to push. The next time I came downstairs she had gone to the bathroom where I had set up the towels and stuff! I noticed that the head had started to come out. She let me near her during the last pushing and she was laying down and I was cradling her little head and petting her. I had called Josh to come help, because Addi was still not asleep and I was afraid of something happening and having to deal with Addi and Dixie. Josh came in right after the puppy was born and Dixie did exactly what she was supposed to do, she started biting the membrane off the puppy and bit the umbilical cord. Unfortunately, the puppy was a stillborn. :( Josh worked for 15 minutes on that little thing trying so hard to start it's little heart. It was AWFUL. We decided that there was nothing more we could do so we let Dixie say goodbye to her little puppy. She just kept licking it, trying to wake it up. It was heartbreaking. I was bawling. So, we took the puppy away and got Dixie cleaned up. The puppy was huge and we think that maybe in the last week or couple of days, it had died due to lack of oxygen. Anyways, so Dixie has been under our bed since it happened and growls at us anytime we get near her. She has come out a handful of times for food, but that's it. I don't know if she's hurting or if she's sad, but I feel terrible for her. It was just an emotional day! I do have to say, I have some of the best and most thoughtful friends. I got so many texts of condolences and asking how Dixie was, it was very sweet. :) Hoping Dixie starts to feel more like herself soon!!!

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness - that sounds so incredibly sad. thinking of you and dixie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That is the saddest thing ever, poor Dixie, and you and Josh too :( I'm sorry girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Dixie. :( And poor you. That had to have been so sad and awful.
    I hope your Harry Potter movie helped perk you up a little....

    ReplyDelete





Pumpkin Butter Kids

My Etsy Shop

My Recipe Blog


Click @adeichhorn to follow me on Twitter.

Me

Me

Josh

Josh

Sweet Addi

Sweet Addi
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved